March 14, 2020

A few Winter 2020 Highlights

This winter I recovered from knee surgery. Something about getting older and having surgery that is not a good combination. Fortunately I have been recovering well and pulling it together. This winter has not had the volume of ski touring as in other years, however it has been about quality. I have had some great moments with friends this year. It's those moments that fill my mind when I close my eyes amidst the difficulties and challenges that life brings. They help get me through the sharpness of the edge.

This first image is special to me in many ways. It was an evening last month. I was alone, trying to work the pains of life off my back. Doing everything I could to shake them from my soul. As I was skinning swiftly up the mountain, suddenly the earth began to warm against the icy temperatures. Yes the 15 minutes of special light both in the dawn and dusk are my favorite times to be in the hills. However, this one was different. It was a piercing warmth. I stopped dead in my tracks to witness a miracle unfold before my eyes. It was dead silent, but I could feel the love of God pour over me. He knows my trials, my difficulties not unlike everyone else but individual to me. I could feel others on the other side of the veil. Those that have gone before me. It was an overwhelming love that bore testimony to me that there are those watching, cheering us along our paths of life. I shall never forget that moment as it was and is precious to me. 

God knows us
NW Couloir with Jared I and Lars in Feb 2020
Lars on the rappel
Jared. His camera and hot drinks
Hogum Fork
Lars and the Dresden Face
The incredible Jason Dorais on East Face of Twin
Jason
Tom Goth and the great Cottonwood Ridge
Jason on the East Face
Columbine at Dawn- Those special 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment